Monthly Archives: August 2016
The Perfect MarriageAugust 30, 2016
Lucky I’m talking about the perfect marriage of wine and food…
As Winter holds on tight and lashes out with the last of her cruel, cold weather, you’re probably tending to drink more red wines. They’re warming & pair nicely with the richer, slow cooked meals, we’re still a little reticent to replace with salad. But what red goes with what food?
Here’s some tips:
- Most importantly you can’t go wrong. Everyone’s palates are different & you should always drink the wines you enjoy (stomp! wines that is).
- Think about the “flavour weight” or “richness” of the food & the wine. Marry like with like. Lighter more elegant meals should be paired with lighter wines & those big, rich, hearty meals with big, rich, full bodied wines. In other words you don’t want the wine to over power the food & vice versa.
- Think about the spices & flavours in the wine, and where it suits add some of these spices to your dish.
For example the our 2014 Limited Release Shiraz has lovely savoury spices & is rich & concentrated, so a slow cooked beef dish cooked in the Shiraz with pepper & herbs is a perfect combination; or to really emphasise the Shiraz, enjoy with a simple, perfectly barbecued premium, grass fed, scotch fillet.
Our Pssst ‘n’ Broke Merlot is more elegant, softer & suited more to a simple Sunday family roast lamb or pork, or for a mid-week Spaghetti Bolognaise.
Cheeses are similar, try a cheddar or smokey cheese with Shiraz, a Swiss style such as Gouda or Jarlsberg with a Merlot & a washed rind with a Pinot Noir.
Experiment, it’s fun discovering new marriages, and you might just discover the perfect one!
You’ll be Dad’s Favourite with this Gift!August 24, 2016
We’ve got your Father’s Day gift boxed and ready to go!
James Halliday’s Wine Companion is out & our Shiraz’s have been highly rated.
- 92 points – Stomp! 2014 Shiraz – $24/bottle or $20 for Members. He’s also given this wine a red “special value” star as he considers it to be of special value for money. AKA, we are far too generous with our pricing!
- 95 points – Stomp! 2014 Limited Release Shiraz – $48/bottle or $38 for Members
Being recognised as one of the best years in history for Hunter Valley Shiraz, they’ll both keep until 2035 (but if you like them young & fresh they’re drinking beautifully right now). You’ll find the tasting notes here.
To suit wines of this status, we’ve sourced a limited supply of single or double wooden boxes; all you have to do is select the wine for your Dad & we’ll package it up & send it for you .
It’s that easy
- your choice of a single ($7) or double ($9) wooden box
- with your choice of Shiraz (or, if Dad doesn’t drink Shiraz, let me know what other wine he’d like. Maybe, our rather special, Limited Release Fiano – awarded 90 points)
- freighted to you or directly to your Dad (freight $10 Sydney, $20 Melbourne or Brisbane)
Email me your order by Monday 29 August to ensure Dad receives his gift by Father’s Day.
And, if Dad doesn’t think you’re the best child in town, next year… give him some socks!