Monthly Archives: June 2016
Five Tips to Experience the Charm of Broke FordwichJune 27, 2016
An insider’s tips to experience the rural, artisan community of Broke Fordwich:
1. Accommodation – You really need to stay in Broke Fordwich to experience our charm and rural lifestyle. You need somewhere to relax and unwind. Two of my favourite properties in Broke are Tinonee Country House, of course, and Lavender Ridge – Two Door and The Mews. Both are stunning examples of country living at its finest. Both properties have boutique vineyards and gorgeous gardens attracting much native wildlife and with stunning views.
2. Wine Tasting – Now we have you bedded down, you need to discover our region’s wines. You absolutely need to top up your cellar with some of the Hunter’s finest. First stop, Stomp Wines – hell yeh! But where to next? Why not try our region’s newest cellar door – Greenway Wines? Another tiny, family business – but, as you well know, tiny cellar doors have personality in spades – both in staff and wines! Anne, at Greenway wines, is no exception. She’ll make you extremely welcome as you taste her estate grown wines. For something a little different, I highly recommend you take home some of her Gerwurtztraminer and don’t forget some of her delicious vineyard honey, too.
3. Hunger Control – With all this wine tasting, you’ll need some sustenance. And true to our rural, farming region, we’ve got healthy, fresh, home grown paddock to plate nourishment. For a light lunch try Mount Broke Wine’s Café. Chef, Mel is cooking up some stunning food. And, when it’s time for dinner Margan Restaurant won’t let you down. Make sure you make a booking and they’ll be sure to spoil you on arrival, both with their attentive staff and gorgeous fine food.
4. Spoiling Yourself – Everyone needs to feel a little spoilt sometimes, particularly, whilst on holidays. For pampering, Broke Fordwich style, pop into Pickled and Pitted & BARE Natures’Kin. Try some of Michelle’s gorgeous handmade soaps, creams and scrubs – all made with herbs, flowers and seeds harvested locally. Plenty to take home to nourish your body and soul. Even something for the men – my Dad swears by the goat’s milk shaving soap.
5. Be a Child Again – For those of you wishing to indulge your inner child, make sure you go and feed the cute, cuddly alpaca’s at Starline Alpaca Farmstay Resort. They also have really sweet guinea pigs and bunnies. Lots of photo opportunities here.
Hopefully that’s your tranquil weekend in the country covered… but should you be looking for more to do don’t hesitate to ask a local or visit brokefordwich.com.au